Mailchimp and automated marketing? No way, I hear you say? I challenge you!
Let’s stop a little and think about what automated marketing is: a way to automate your communication efforts with the purpose of making them more targeted and efficient. In contrast to email newsletters that target groups of people, automated marketing campaigns target individuals.
Before going into the setup of your first automated campaign in MailChimp, I believe there are 2 questions that need answering:
- Why use MailChimp for automated marketing? Because you want to experiment with automated marketing before switching to a fully featured dedicated platform.
- How can PadiAct help? With the latest update, you can now automatically add subscribers to MailChimp groups made inside your lists, and use these as target of your automated marketing campaigns.
The PadiAct Update: Hidden Fields
As you probably know already, PadiAct allows you to target different segments of visitors on your website in order to ask them to offer their email addresses.
With the latest release of PadiAct, for each campaign, you can now set up hidden fields that can be used to send specific targeting campaign data to your MailChimp account, data that can be used to segment subscribers based on their behavior before subscribing.
Too confusing? Let’s try with an example. You just launched a new offer and created a landing page for it. Somewhere around 90% of the people who visit the landing page do not buy the products on your offer. Sounds familiar, right?
You’ve decided to setup a PadiAct campaign to target all those people who went through the offer page but did not buy.
We want their email address, their first name and we also want to label them in MailChimp as users that visited the offer page but did not buy so we can create an automated marketing campaign for them. Here is the setup:
The above setup assumes you already have groups defined for your Mailchimp lists. If you are new to this, here is how you can set them up.
Back to PadiAct, define a message for your campaign and we are all set to go.
All email leads that get into your account will have the label “DidNotPurchaseSpecialOffer” attached to them. Which means they will be included in the group with the same name.
Autoresponders in Mailchimp
Autoresponders are the feature that we are going to use in Mailchimp to set up our first automated email marketing campaign.
Let’s send an email to visitors who subscribed but did not purchase and try to convert them. Let’s send the email 3 days after their subscription.
The message in the automated email will be crucial but this is your opportunity to convert valuable leads into sales. Go for it!
Based on the results from this experiment you can go wild. To sum up, this is what you need to remember:
- Define groups for your lists in Mailchimp
- Add them as hidden fields in each of your PadiAct targeting campaign.
- Define default values for each hidden field that describe the segment of traffic you are targeting
- Use those values directly in Mailchimp to setup autoresponders with targeted messages
- Convert leads into sales
And please share with us your thoughts on this automated marketing campaign experiment.